15.5 EASY WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR CREDIT SCORE
1. Pay your bills on time.
2. It’s the best way to keep your rating high.
3. Get up to date on missed payments.
4. If you are having trouble, contact your creditors or see a credit counselor.
5. The sooner you get your credit under control, the sooner your score will improve.
6. Keep credit card balances low.
7. Large balances will have a negative impact on your score.
8. Eliminate debt, don’t rearrange it.
9. Pay down revolving credit such as credit cards. Consolidating into fewer open accounts can help too.
10. Don’t close unused credit cards to raise your score.
11. Fewer accounts are better, but frequent closing and opening of accounts is often a sign of a problem.
12. Don’t open more credit accounts than you need.
13. You may think you’re making more credit available, but you could be hurting your score.
14. Don’t open too many new accounts too quickly.
15 Especially if you’re relatively new to credit. This will create too many inquiries which hurts your score.
15.5 Be sure to order your credit report directly from the credit reporting agency or through an organization authorized to provide credit reports to consumers.